Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Group b step :-(

Ok, so I know that group B step is fairly common in pregnant woman, but I just found out yesterday that I tested positive for it :( I was negative w/both boys, so I never really even looked into it, and what all it entailed. I know that the treatment is antibiotics that they administer durring labor, and since I've recently decided that I'm totally against antibiotics all together (as well as most vaccinations-long story-) I started doing some research. Well, now I almost wish I hadn't because I had about had a panic attack after finding out all the crap that gbs (group b step) can cause, like total mental retardation, meningitis, and death. and come to find out I know someone who recently lost a baby due to gbs. OMG, talk about a freak out!!!! I had been planning on staying home through the majority of labor this time around, since I ended up getting sent home, after thinking I was in labor, and having my contractions stop once I got to hospital w/BOTH of my boys. But that is now completely shot! I read today that to have the most effectiveness w/the antibiotics they should be administered at least 4 hours before delivery, and since I have no clue how fast this one is gonna go I'm a bit paranoid. I'm wondering about talking to my midwife about a scheduled induction once I get a bit closer, just so that I don't have to worry so much about this whole strep b thing. I talked to my sister who's had 5 kids, but she's never tested positive, so she really wasn't much help in making me feel better about it, unfortunately. It would def help if I knew someone who tested positive, had a vaginal birth, and had a perfectly healthy baby. Ahh, I'm sure everything will turn out just fine, but to be honest I'm still just freaked out by this whole thing. UGH, it makes me start to cry when I think about it. I'm trying not to think about it, but I just can't help it.

AHHHHHH!!!!!! Ok, gotta focus on something else now..... ok, so I'm just not having much else come to mind at the moment, so I guess I'll just try my best to stay positive, and focus on the the good things that I have to be thankful for. :) guess I'll post again when I know more.. until next time..

1 comment:

  1. i'm sorry! that is so scary for you! it makes it even harder since you heard of that story of the women losing her baby. if it helps at all, i tested positive with mak... of course she didn't come out that way, but she WAS crowning before they cut her out :-)
    there are way too many scary things to think about when you're pregnant anyway. good luck, i love you and i pray for you!

    ReplyDelete